REGULATIONS & BY-LAWS
to be read in conjunction with the
Constitution of the
Newcastle MBA Golf Club Incorporated
1. The name of the Club is Newcastle Master Builders' Association Golf Club Inc.
2. The Address of the Club will be at 165 Lambton Road, Broadmeadow or at such other place as the Committee may from time to time determine.
3. The objects of the Club shall be:
a) To promote the game of golf within the members of the Master Builders' Association.
b) To encourage each member to be an ambassador of goodwill towards all sections of the industry, acting with dignity at all times.
c) To be non-sectarian and non-political.
d) To participate in annually and at all times to promote the Master Builders' Australia Inc. Golf Tournament competing for the M.R. Hornibrook Cup.
4. a) Membership of the Club shall be open to any persons presently or formerly engaged in businesses or activities which are integral to the building and construction industry (including but not limited to principal contractors, housing builders, project managers or trades
contractors) or which are allied to the building and construction industry (including consultants and suppliers) and who support the objects of the Club.
b) To qualify for membership of the Club, a person must have been actively engaged in the activities detailed in 4(a) for at least (3) three months prior to acceptance to membership.
c) The annual subscription must be paid when application is made for membership.
d) The Committee has the right to refuse any nomination without explanation.
5. Types of membership:
a) Full Member: Normal qualifications to join the Club under Clause (a) of Qualifications and acceptable to the Committee. Full
members must be a member of a recognised golf club and have an Australian Golf Handicap. Full Members are entitled to stand for office and to represent the Club at external tournaments.
b) Associate or Interim Member: Members who are not members of a recognised golf club and whose handicap, after submission of 3 cards, is to be determined by the Club Handicapper. Associate Members are not entitled to stand for office or to represent the Club
at external tournaments.
c) Honorary Member: Those persons whom the Club wishes to honour. (i.e. sponsors, Patron, etc.) Honorary Members are not entitled
to stand for office or to represent the Club at external tournaments.
d) Life Member: May be elected at the Annual General Meeting by a 75% majority of the members attending such meeting - providing
a notice of motion is given in writing (14) fourteen days prior to such meeting - no more than (2) two Life Members to be elected at any Annual General Meeting. Life Members are entitled to stand for office and to represent the Club at external tournaments.
6. a) There shall be no entrance fee. The Annual Subscription fee shall be determined at the Annual General Meeting and
paid annually in advance.
b) The Annual Subscription shall fall due on the lst day of February each year.
c) If any member has not paid their Annual Subscription by the 31st of March of the year it is due, or any other sum due by them to the Club, they shall have their membership cancelled by resolution of the Committee, but may be reinstated at the discretion of the Committee on payment of all sums due by them.
d) The Committee shall have power to expel, disqualify or discipline any member acting contrary to the rules of the Club.
7. a) The Annual General Meeting shall be held each year or as determined by the Committee, with (14) fourteen days notice being given to each member.
b) A General Meeting of the Club may be called at any time by the Committee or on the requisition in writing signed by at least Full 3 members submitted to the Honorary Secretary. At least 7 days notice shall be given of a General Meeting.
c) All meetings shall be presided over by the President or, in his absence, by a member of the Executive, who in addition to his own vote shall, in the case of equality of votes, have a second or casting vote.
8. A Quorum shall consist of 15 members for a General Meeting and 3 members for Committee Meetings.
9. Parliamentary Rules of Debate shall apply at all meetings except in the matter of Election of Officers, in which case, a Secret Ballot shall apply.
OFFICES & COMMITTEE
10. The Club shall be managed by the Committee, which shall consist of:
a) The President.
b) The Captain.
c) The Honorary Secretary.
The above three positions are to comprise the Executive.
d) Three Committee members.
e) The Treasurer.
11. The Committee may from time to time appoint one of its members to the position(s) of Vice Captain and/or Handicapper.
12. The Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. The President, as well as the majority of both the Executive
and the Committee, must be members or former members of Newcastle Master Builders' Association.
13. (a) Nominations for Office: For the Election of Officers and Committee Members, a nomination form in accordance with the sample shown at Schedule "A" to these Rules will be made available to the membership. Duly completed Nominations must reach the Honorary Secretary at least 7 days prior to the date of the AGM.
(b) The Full and Life Members present at the AGM shall nominate two members present at the AGM to act as Returning Officers, provided that a member who has been nominated for election to the committee shall not be eligible to act as Returning Officer.
(c) All Executive and Committee Member positions shall be declared vacant at the AGM.
(d) Where only one nomination has been submitted for an Office or where the number of valid nominations is fewer than the
number of positions available for Committee Members, the Returning Officer shall declare such nominees duly elected.
(e) Where there is more than one nominee for an Office or the number of nominations for Committee Member exceeds the number of positions available, the Returning Officers shall produce a Ballot Paper on the basis of valid Nominations for the relevant Offices or Committee member positions.
(f) Ballots will be cast by the members present at the AGM under the supervision of the Returning Officers who will then determine and declare the Election results. Members may not vote by proxy.
14. (a) Any member of the Committee not attending three consecutive meetings without reasonable excuse shall be replaced by the Committee.
(b) The Committee is empowered to fill any vacancy which may occur during the year.
TENURE OF OFFICERS
15. Members of the Committee, including Officers, shall hold office from the close of the AGM at which they are elected to the AGM in the following year and may be re-elected in successive years.
16. (a) The Financial Year of the Club shall run from 1 July in any year to 30 June in the following year.
(b) The books of accounts are to be closed at the end of each financial year. The Honorary Accountant shall review same, without recourse to a formal audit, for presentation by the Treasurer to the Annual General Meeting.
(c) All accounts rendered to the Club shall be paid for by Cheque, or Electronic Funds Transfer.
(d) All receipts must be banked.
(e) All payments must be authorised by any 2 of the President, the Hon. Secretary and the Treasurer.
17. The Committee shall appoint an independent, appropriately qualified accountant (being a current member of a recognised
professional accounting body) to review the Club’s financial records.
18. The Treasurer will submit to the Annual General Meeting a Statement of Income and Expenditure and a Statement of Assets and Liabilities of the Club in respect to the previous financial year which have been duly reviewed by the Honorary Accountant.
19. (a) The Club may not distribute any of its profit to members.
(b) On dissolution of the Club, all assets and monies remaining after satisfaction of all debts and liabilities on winding up will be handed over to an organization, determined by the members, which:
i) is a registered charity
ii) is an organisation with similar objectives AND a similar dissolution process.
DISSOLUTION OF THE CLUB
20. The Club may be dissolved by resolution passed by a General Meeting of the Club by 75% of the Financial Members eligible to vote who are present at any General Meeting for which notice specifying the intention to propose such resolution has been duly given.
AMENDMENT OF CONSTITUTION
21. The clauses of this Constitution may be repealed or altered, or new clauses made, by resolution duly passed by a 75% majority of the members present at any General Meeting for which notice specifying the intention to propose such resolution has been duly given.
RULES OF PLAY
22. The rules of the game of golf adopted from time to time by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, except in so far as
they are modified by the local rules of the club, shall be played.
23. The Club shall at all times be a financial member of the Newcastle District Golf Association.